Tuesday 19 May 2015

Sketch 2 - Developing my own style and drawing from reference & memory

For my first warm up sketch, I decided to draw from memory to see if I could draw the character in mind well enough to be recognised. I felt that this worked well as the characters I had drawn could be recognised apart from the use of the proportions in which I needed to edit. This warm up sketch prepared me for the reference sketches that I wanted to draw for the day. I wanted to be able to use reference to help me draw a character and build up on my proportion skills of the human body.

I mainly drew female characters as I am normally reluctant to draw due to the curvy and contoured shapes that I panic with; Male characters are easier to design through the rectangular shapes that they are built from. I used a Pinterest board that I had made for reference to be able to draw the female characters. I found that the majority of the drawings I made were successful through the proportion and the style of the character, I really liked the design on the bottom of the right hand page through the shape of the face and how I had drawn the facial features, I felt that this would also translate well into animation and I would like to carry this style on with development at a later time.  I also really liked the sat down pose at the top of the right hand page, I felt I had captured the atmosphere and emotion of the character well, the use of the shading helped to make it stand from the page, giving the viewer a direction of lighting. 


From memory


Female sketches


No comments:

Post a Comment