Tuesday 19 May 2015

Sketch 1 - sketching different styles

Whilst all the modules were undergo for the year, I took time to develop my work by drawing fan art of characters from music bands and cartoons, trying to absorb the style and change it slightly into my own. I thoroughly enjoyed drawing Jamie Hewlett's work from Gorillaz, I loved the proportions and the angular style of the characters, however I changed this slightly to work with my own style that I have at the moment. I loved exaggerating the body with the limbs and the stances, and adding characteristics to the faces that worked with the characters personality. I wanted to continue this form of proportion into my work in which Responsive gave me the opportunity to do so with the Animation Portfolio Workshop brief that I worked on as one of the individual practices for that Module.

I then moved on to more cartoony styles, particularly Gravity Falls and Over the Garden Wall as I loved the simple shapes and wanted to use this style to twist it into one that I could use for animating with. I find that even though I go into an animation with the intention of keeping the characters simple, I always end up making the character detailed with line and colour which makes it difficult to finish nearer the completion of the animation.  Drawing in Over the Garden Wall style worked successfully, I loved the simple shapes and it was aesthetically pleasing with the proportions that I had edited as I wanted to adapt the style. I think this will definitely be a style of illustration that I would want to try and animation later on, most likely during summer, when I will have more time to focus on animating and nothing else.

From memory I then drew Batman and Robin in a cartoony style without any reference, I wanted to challenge myself to see if I could create a simple and effective illustration. I felt that this worked well apart from a few of the body proportions, the main body was simple and sausage like, helping me to add less detail with line shading. I did however end up shading the design in with graphite as I felt it needed something to make it stand out from the page, to give it more character.







No comments:

Post a Comment