Tuesday 19 May 2015

Designing for volunteer groups

I am currently a volunteer at Selby Globe, a community based cinema in Selby, and The Abbots Staith Project in which the community of Selby are striving to get one of the oldest buildings in Britain to be renovated so that we can make this piece of history safe for people to visit, and hopefully make a museum for Selby. I have been involved with helping with ideas and marketing with local shops within Selby Little Festival. This festival brings the community together with local businesses turning into art galleries, venues for bands and performances for families to visit and more importantly have fun. Last year we had a graffiti artist painting on a bus that was parked in the centre of Selby, which was amazing to see but a lot of work trying to get paint for the artist, as the festival is all about helping an promoting each other rather than for profit reasons.

Last year I helped to make a map for that would be legible for all audiences to read and be able to navigate their way around all the different venues. I didn't have enough time this year to be able to make a completely new map for them however I was able to change and add parts to map so that I could hand them back the file to add text onto the image. I would like to make something new for them next year as I feel that my skills have improved considerably since then in which I want to give back something more professional to my volunteer group. I did edit the logo of the Selby Festival by adding the dates on the logo as well as adding the twitter bird for networking.

For The Abbots Staith Project I created a simple logo for them, in which they wanted a very simple drawing of the building until they build up the project more with marketing and a website. I created this on Photoshop using sepia colours to match with the age of the building, with slight detail of bricks and the roof tiles. I added this logo to the map for the group and sent the rest of the image and its components to my other volunteer, Selby Globe, who was given the task to create the map and advertising for the Festival, as one of the participating community projects and businesses.

As well as helping with the creation of the map, I also volunteer with setting up the stages and workshops so that the artists can go straight into the space and focus on performing. It is difficult sometimes especially when there is no clear indication of what they want to do, however the perfectionist inside me activates and I end up taking over and adding things to make the stage and workshops more enticing and attracting to the viewer.


No comments:

Post a Comment