Thursday 19 May 2016

Industry - DreamWorks Jobs & Internships

Unfortunately I couldn't find any internships that would aid my practice, there were quite a few within the production and post production internships, which would at least get my foot in the door, however I can't justify the expense for traveling over there, cost of living and accommodation to do something which I wouldn't have a passion for. I do know however that another batch of internships will be available nearer November, in which I will be keeping a close eye on as I would love to take the storyboarding internship that they have.

I did however find a few jobs that I am very keen in applying for, Storyboard Artist and Background Painters/Designers. Here are my notes on these roles:

Storyboard Artist:

+ Require collaboration skills with department heads for critique on work, problems and schedules. I believe that I can professionally achieve this as I have collaborated with fellow students, musicians and voice actors throughout my time on the course, where I have brought everyones ideas together to create an innovative animated piece and managed the production line efficiently.
+ Pitching - I have had experience of pitching my ideas through the Responsive module and Extended modules, where I would have to present a short but sweet run through of the work and decisions that I have gone through to come to my final solution.
+ To ensure that the style is consistent. I believe I have shown this throughout all the storyboards that I have submitted so far, especially through the COP3 storyboards.
+ The role requires knowledge of storyboarding software, it doesn't state what software but I have a inkling that it would most likely be Toon Boom Storyboard Pro, which I have some knowledge of but I am not confident enough with the workspace. This can be easily solved by having a solid few days just using the software and following tutorials until I am comfortable with the program.
+ Requires knowledge of using cintiqs and photoshop - I currently have my own cinitq which has aided  the growth of my practice as well as expert knowledge in photoshop.
+ The only requirement that I would be struggling with is the 2-3 years of storyboard experience however it does say or equivalent combination of education and experience - I believe that my time visiting Arcus and my time on this course would be more efficient for this requirement.



Storyboard Artist

Background Painters/Designers:

+ I was intrigued by this role as, when making my final major project, I adored making the backgrounds. It was so much fun redrawing the same background but from different and dynamic angles that helped to influence the frames composition and narrative. 
+ It is clear from the job description that I don''t have enough expertise in the field, I was just curious about what the job required, as the role asked to make colour guides and floor plans which I don't have any experience in. However following my 12 month plan, learning about these elements would help to develop my practice as I am positive that creating colour guides, or something similar, will be specified in the role of a Character Designer. 
+ To be able to review storyboards and scripts - I have experience through reviewing my own work and fellow students work in order to make a more innovative piece.
+ Interestingly, in comparison to the Storyboard Artist role, there is no requirement for experience in industry. 
+ I don' think that this would be a job that I would apply for yet, not until I have built on top of the skills that I already have, however I will continue to research job requirements in order to inform my own practice.


Background Painters/Designers




Sources:

https://dwa-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=1640&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=992308&company_id=17114&version=1&byBusinessUnit=NULL&bycountry=0&bystate=0&byRegion=NULL&bylocation=NULL&keywords=&byCat=36399%2C36382%2C36370%2C36381%2C36364%2C36306%2C36371&proximityCountry=&postalCode=&radiusDistance=&isKilometers=&tosearch=yes&city=

https://dwa-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.jobinfo&jobid=1729&source=ONLINE&JobOwner=993797&company_id=17114&version=1&byBusinessUnit=NULL&bycountry=0&bystate=0&byRegion=NULL&bylocation=NULL&keywords=&byCat=36399%2C36382%2C36370%2C36381%2C36364%2C36306%2C36371&proximityCountry=&postalCode=&radiusDistance=&isKilometers=&tosearch=yes&city=

No comments:

Post a Comment