Thursday 19 May 2016

Considering an MA

Whilst at my career coach session, I was thinking about taking an MA course, however I didn't know whether or not to go ahead with this as I wasn't sure myself if I wanted to take my final major project further or start another project for the MA. I know that there are researched based MA's where you focus more on dissertations and theory, making a practical to go alongside it, with the other being taught and enhancing your skills as a practitioner.

Whilst looking for work experience positions on the Aardman studio website, I followed a link that took me to the National Film and Television School. NFTS offer amazing opportunities, ranging from short courses, Diplomas and Masters. I eagerly looked at the MA courses that were available and found three that caught my interest, Directing Animation, Cinematography and Screenwriting.

Looking through the curriculums with all the courses, I know that the Directing Animation course would be the most beneficial with my practice as the course focuses on Storyboarding, creating characters, performance, script development leading to a dissertation and graduation film. The entry requirements for the Directing Animation course ask for a degree in animation, graphics, illustration or fine art. They also require a submission of an animation film that you have created onto a DVD with a max of 20mins, this would further include unto 5 mins of other work, not just simple exercises. I think this is quite interesting as it is almost like your showreel but they are asking for the full animations. Additionally they ask for a proposal form for a 1 minute animation project, and a portfolio of illustrations and drawings. The proposal form sounds interesting, as it asks for a new concept and synopsis, that hasn't been included on the disc. I think this is a fantastic way for the course to see the creativity and skills that each applicant already have.

Whilst talking to one of my tutors, they recommended another site called Rain Dance who offer a postgraduate film degree where you make films and work with industry. I feel that this course would be beneficial for making important connections to the film industry however the curriculum didn't seem to be beneficial for my practice in comparison to the Directing Animation course.

The more I research into this aspect of taking an MA, the more it makes me want to go for it, especially with the new funding and scholarships that are available for this year and 2017. I still need to research more into this, going to a few open days at universities that do Animation MA's so that I can weigh the pros and cons of each course with how it will benefit me. As I am visiting London quite soon, either the end of June or July, I want to start visiting Animation MA's by going to the Royal College of Arts and looking at the course studio space, curriculum, talk to the tutors and peoples work, etc. I have added this to my 12 month plan and I have come to a decision to take a year out to build up my experience, practice and network with other practitioners before I go for the MA.

NTFS - Directing Animation course

Rain Dance Film Course


No comments:

Post a Comment